Friday, February 29, 2008

Renewable Energy Curriculum - Authentic Community Applications

Fairily soon my student teacher will be done with her soloing period, and that will mean I (finally) get to be back in my classroom with kids. It's been a really long time, and I miss them :_(
Ok, maybe not that much. heh heh.

But when I get back, we'll be working on renewable energy projects. The idea for these project is "study a real-life energy system, and make a proposal to the people who have influence over that situation". The rubric for this assignment includes

*Energy and Power Calculations (the content-related criteria)

*Evidence that they have contacted an expert in the community about their topic (notes from a phone call or an email)

*A presentation to the class and then later to the people of influence preferably using power point.

I have a student who is all about putting a wind mill on top of National Life (or at least the hill National Life is on), and so I can imagine that will be his topic.

I'm thinking we could either have "independent projects" (or groups of two) for this, where everyone's kind of working on their own deal, or we could pose the same question to each section, and groups in one class could work on solutions to the same problem. Or I could have all my sections of the same course work on the same problem/question.

Right now I'm leaning towards problems divided up by section, and so have everyone in the same section working on the same problem. I'll elicit their ideas for problems, I'll also put out some ideas of my own, and then I'll let them "choose" the issue they want to tackle as a section. And by "choose" of course, I mean, choice with my ultimate approval. (Aww, just now it was like I'm the Governor and they're the congress and I have veto power!). Except that my classroom is a benevolent dictatorship, not a democracy :P

No comments: