Friday, February 29, 2008

The Ethics of a "Global Warming" Debate


Scientific controversy in the classroom is normally thrilling for a teacher. It means that students are exchanging their ideas about science, debating their ideas like "real" scientists would. And this is good. 

Through the whole Creation vs. Evolution debate I have felt that I don't need to plug too hard for one side or the other because debate is healthy for science. 

But this morning I have felt that the debate over whether or not Global Climate Destabilization (aka Global Climate Change, aka Global Warming) is happening and we're causing it is not a debate I'm really willing to entertain.  

If Creationists are right, meh. cool. If Evolutionists are right. meh. cool. (My faith is not dependent upon creationism). However, if Global Climate Destabilization experts are right, then we need to act NOW. And if we're wrong. meh. let's not do anything. I would add that debate is only healthy when the debaters are acting in a scientifically "free" environment - the kind Richard Feynman refers to in his speech on Cargo Cult Science. And I'm afraid that the "sides" of this debate are not wholly free. 

This morning it was brought to my attention that scientists who did not buy into global warming were meeting in New York City at a conference to discuss how not-screwed we are. After poking around a bit, I found that it's put on the Heartland Institute.  

Who is the Heartland Institute? We're all wondering? And I think a better question is who's funding the Heartland Institute? Well, according to their website, their funding sources are secret. Right. Well SourceWatch has them tied to Walmart, Big Tobacco and Big Oil - specifically ExxonMobil. Yea like millions of dollars tied to ExxonMobil. 

When debate prevents action towards healthy choices I and my class shall abstain, thank you. Sorry ExxonMobil, I will not be your puppet. 

No comments: