Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Story of the Day

Now that my National Board Portfolio has been mailed, I am DONE worrying about it! hAhAHA! (my life is so much freer now - so last night I celebrated by watching the first three episodes of Firefly, which was fairly accurately described to me as a "space western" -ha!).

So in the spirit of celebrating, here's my story of the day.

My students are working on renewable energy projects right now, and one group went to a nearby dam to take some measurements and pictures. They needed a camera, and I had mine right on hand, so I said, "here use mine. Let's check it for embarrassing pictures first though." There weren't any - unless you count pictures of Easter celebrations and bird feeders and my parents embarrassing. So off they went with my camera to the dam.

Anyway, the majority of the class was working in the computer lab, so that's where I was when that group got back. And they looked so dejected. One of the students said, "Miss Watson um... there was a sort of mishap. Well, we were holding the camera, and the strap broke and ummm... we tried to get it out of the water, but we couldn't find it."

Me: "Oh! Dang! Wow, ok. So it's in the river, eh?"

Judy the Computer Lab Lady: "Oh my goodness, maybe it will turn up after the spring thaw!"

The group: "Yea, we're super sorry. We'll pay for it."

Me: "Well, :) ok, it's ok. You know, entropy happens. It's just a thing. Keep breathing. :) "

Them: "APRIL FOOLS!!!!!" And with that they pulled out my camera, dry and whole.
Everyone in the whole room had been watching this interaction and immediately burst out laughing, myself included.

Oh man, I've never been gotten so good by an April Fool's joke. It did make me reconsider lending out my own stuff though :) hmmm...

2 comments:

Nicole & Cody Taylor said...

Congratulations on completing such a tremendous undertaking! From what I have read on your blogs and what I know of you, you are a great teacher and more than worthy National Board Certification. I also laughed when I read the camera thing... I did make it through April 1st unscathed... ;)

fearingfearitself said...

Wow. They got you good. I was only the attempted victim of one April Fools joke this year, and it was totally LAME, so I got off easy and un-gotten.