Saturday, December 22, 2007

Photovoltaics Cheaper Than Coal?

As we think about the future of the high school's roof space, I'm torn between visions of a rooftop garden or photovoltaics.

How are we going to afford any (additional) photovoltaics?

My dad recently passed on this link to Nanosolar's new solar cell technology - basically conductive ink printed on a metal substrate. I'm sure it's efficiency is crap (though they're not publicly sharing their specs), but efficiency isn't the goal here - the point is they're wicked cheap. So cheap, in fact, they're being touted as "cheaper than coal" per kWh. What? Did I hear that correctly? Cheaper than coal? Where do I sign up? :)

The solar panels we put on the school's greenhouse were predicted to pay for themselves in 50 years. Great. I'll probably have retired by then. Their site doesn't list prices either, so it's hard to verify that any of it is actually true. Otherwise you know I'd be running the calculation myself on this page. heh.

I'd like to dream of super cheap photovoltaics on our roof, but for now I'll have to wait: They're sold out for the next 12 months. :P

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Simple trick to cut your power bill up to 75%:

Want to know how to easily produce all of the green energy you could ever want right at home?

And you’ll be able to make your home completely immune from power outages, blackouts, and energy grid failures
so even if everyone else in your area (or even the whole country) loses power…you won’t.

HERE'S HOW: DIY HOME ENERGY