Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I'm Getting Carbon for Christmas (With a Little Help From NativeEnergy)

As I was contemplating what to get people for Christmas I stumbled upon this post by Grist: Ten great ideas for "stuff-free" holiday gifts". And some of her ideas were pretty sweet, I'm a big fan of stopping someone's junk mail (provided they're don't actually want their junk mail to burn in their woodstove). But of course the thing which caught my eye was the carbon offset site from Tufts University, which is just about how to choose a carbon-offset program or company, and thankfully for us lazy folk, they have some recommended programs at the bottom of the page. the only US-based company was called NativeEnergy.

So I'm digging through their projects and my heart-rate is increasing because this stuff is just so sweet, and so you can imagine my heart rather freezing when I read under their previous successes about a project they did in my home town! Essex Junction Municipal Biogas Center.

The Tufts site didn't recommend carbon sequestration programs through protecting forests because not much is known about a forests ability to sequester carbon long-term, so programs that create new clean energy sources or are just a different way to "offset" your emissions.

I think I know what I'm getting people for Christmas :) ...

No comments: