Friday, September 5, 2008

Agree/Disagree and Facebook

Yesterday and today I've been doing an Agree/Disagree activity, which is where I put a statement on the board and then students move themselves to sign that indicates how they feel about that statement: Strong Agree, Agree, Disagree, or Strongly Disagree. And then they discuss their opinions.

So for your reading enjoyment, here are the statements I put on the board.

  • I like science.
  • Scientific Progress is “good”.
  • One theory is “truer” than another theory if it can explain more observable phenomena. -Karl Popper (my paraphrase)
  • There is no rule in physics that is not violated at some time or other. - Paul Feyerabend
  • There’s no such thing as neutral observation. - Thomas Kuhn
  • If humanity continued forever, someday we would know everything there is to know.
  • Someday soon we will run out of oil.
  • Vermont should build wind farms.
  • The world has more people than it can sustainably support.

They had a hard time with the Paul Feyerabend quote citing that they just didn't know. So I'll probably change that to some other Paul Feyerabend quote.

Also I took an informal poll about what Web 2.0 sites my students were familiar with:
many had experience with myspace,
none one was familiar with livejournal or xanga,
EVERYfreaking one of them has facebook, which is good to know since I now know what common language to use, e.g. "the wall", applications, commenting, "it's like writing a note", etc.

Interestingly, I only know of 3 other teachers in the whole district who have facebook accounts (total of 4), two of us at the high school, one at the middle school, one's the middle school tech coordinator lady. Hmmmm... what does that say? That we live in different technological worlds? For many that's probably true.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree that the adults and the kids are living in different worlds - and I love that you are using blogs - I think efforts like that can not only help to bridge that chasm, but do so in a way that helps students live in their worlds more safely, more effectively, more respectfully...

I agree that assigning them logins of their first name, giving them a password and teaching them how to change it is the best start-up route. Keeping it simple is key.

Thanks for sharing these ideas with the rest of us. *A-