Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fracking the Future (or opting for something better)

Yesterday I went in to see the school's facility manager to talk about the school's underground oil tank. According to one study I read this tank placed the school on Vermont's hazardous waste sites. I didn't think it was being used, but our conversation when in a couple of unexpectedly places. Here's basically the gist of what I got out of that conversation:

  • We're still using that tank.
  • It can and will fail at some point.
  • When it fails it will be expensive
  • The heat planned to be delivered to the school through the District Heating project in Montpelier will not replace our oil burners.
  • If we did want to replace the oil burners with something above ground, the maximum size allowable is 250 gallons, which means a delivery once a week, and that's where all the danger comes from: the transport of oil.
  • The tank below ground now has a capacity of 12,000 gallons.
  • The tank at the elementary school has already had a leak within the last few years.


Isn't it funny how reality can be so much more complicated than it is in one's head? :) Oh dear. So I don't think I'll be leading any crusade to dig up these tanks and replace them with anything.

Among other things, Thom, the facilities guy, and I discussed how natural gas is going to largely replace oil where it hasn't already in the coming years. He said, "natural gas is going to become just disgustingly dirt cheap and will stay cheap for a long time." I believe he's probably right, and that concerns me. Anyone who's seen the documentary Gasland knows hydrofracking is shady at best. Oh man. Don't even get me started on fracking.

I'm just thankful that the VT house passed a moratorium on any new permits for fracking in the state of Vermont.

Truth be told I _really_ don't want to see us become dependent on another finite resource, a resource which, once mostly depleted, will force us to push the limits of safety to satisfy our addiction, just like we're doing now with oil. I hear that call to resist the coming attraction of natural gas also coming from Bill McKibben in a recent post on VTDigger.

I know I'll be talking to my students soon about fracking, and asking the question, "Which would you rather have: a fuel that's dirt cheap and will speed up the destruction of species, or a fuel that costs more but is renewable?" I know some of my students will either with curled smiles or straight faces say "the dirt cheap option." And they may mean it. Heck, who isn't completely self-centered when they're 17? ... ok, I know quite a few generous 17 year-old souls, but still. How will I get them to see the more generous side? How can I get them to think beyond their wallets?

I could go all game theory on them. What's good for the whole is ultimately what's good for the individual in some cases. This is one of them.

I may also just have them do some writing based on a quote from Dumbledore (found here):
Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy.
Albus Dumbledore
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.


Perhaps it will feel like Sunday school, but I don't mind that. I think I may just do both of these things, because I don't think this lesson can be taught enough. Certainly, I am still learning it.

2 comments:

Lord Business said...

Anne,

Strong post. I was pleasantly surprised by how you moved so easily from topic to topic. This afternoon I was doing a search on church sustainability in preparation for an environmental issues discussion group at my church, and I stumbled across your blog. It's not often I find scientists who read fiction!

I'm a Lit. scholar from Des Moines, Iowa, who lives in Arlington, Virginia. My academic sense is that, based on your post title here, you're a Battlestar Galactica fan. Do I have that right? If not, disregard.

At any rate, thanks for your blog, and I'll check in from time to time.

Best,

Aaron

anneofvermont said...

Hey Aaron, Thanks for commenting! I know it's a little late in getting back to you, but I hope the discussion group went well. I've seen enough Battlestar Galactica to know the reference, but I'm really more of a Star Trek NG, Firefly, Farscape nerd. :) Hope things with you are going well!