Sunday, April 12, 2009

Situation Prediction Reality Explanation

Lately I've been employing a strategy I learned from a Knowles Fellow. It's a cycle of experimentation where: 

I pose a situation 
Students predict something 
I ask them to vote for their prediction 
We try it, and they write down the reality 
They write an explanation for what they saw. 

This cycle has been highly successful and the students really like it. I have them create a chart which follows those steps: 
Situation - Prediction - Reality - Explanation 
So far I've used this to examine the motion of marbles on ramps, pendulums, bulbs in series and parallel circuits. 

I'm tempted to write about this for an article in some science teaching journal, (my fellowship with KSTF would probably support such an endeavor... maybe I should do it.)

No comments: